My non-black friends are always commenting that my hair is always different!
It is always different. I like to play with my hair style because I can. That is one of the many benefits of having black hair. I can style my hair straight one day, curly the next and in braids the week after.
About This Hairstyle
After much humming and hawing I decided to go with an loose curl and incorporate some red. In one of my last posts, I commented that red is the colour of the season. I don’t own many red pieces because it is difficult to find a deep-red that matches my skintone. That is why I decided to add some red highlights for this winter season.
Do You Have to Style Your Hair Everyday?
Heck No! That is why I wear my hair like this. I can’t be bothered to style my hair everyday. This loose, curly hair is the equivalent of sweatpants. I just roll out of bed and put my clothes on.
How do You Care for You Hair
Black Hair is different in the fact that the curl patterns of black women require extra care.
- I moisturize my scalp everyday and use a silky hair tie to tie up my hair at night. This helps with breakage and helps my hair to stay smoother longer.
- I also wear my hair in a very high ponytail when driving or doing other mundane activities. Why? Because I wear wool coats and capes. These fibres can rub against your hair and cause damage. Not only that, but these fibres can suck moisture away from your hair. That is a big no-no.
- I also avoid chemicals. Where possible I use natural hair cleansers, co-wash (instead of using shampoo to clean your hair, use conditioner instead. Also known as conditioner-only washing – xovain.com), and moisturize with shea butter or olive oil. Some of the hair care products out there are merely mad-science concoctions in fancy packaging.
- I wash my hair once a week. Why? Because my hair texture doesn’t get greasy quickly like other hair textures that may wash once a day or every other day. My hair loves moisture and looks better when nourished.
How Long Does Your Hairstyle Last?
- A 100% natural hairstyle (using all your own hair) from a great hair stylist can last two weeks with proper maintenance.
- Weaves (which I detest) can last between 2 – 3 months.
- Braids, when done well, can last up up to 4 months. Sometimes longer.
Can I Touch Your Hair?
Usually when strangers ask me that I think the following:
Hmmm. This person is clearly not accustomed to different hair textures.
I then smile and say “Sure”. I figure that I can help to enlighten at least one person that day. Why not do it through my hair.
Do you have any questions you have always wanted to ask, but have never had a chance to? Ask in the comment section.