I get the question “(So like) What do you do during the day?” all the time. I especially got that questions when my daughter was younger and wasn’t attending day home.
Some people think that working from home or being a stay at home mom is all lunch dates, sleeping until noon, and sending out a couple e-mails at 2pm. Running your own business and being a mother is a bit more than that.
Let me take you through my Wednesday:
- I woke up. Early. My daughter is my alarm clock, so I get up at the same time everyday. It is actually nice because I get things done during the day.
- I got myself and my daughter ready for the day (getting dressed, eating, brushing teeth etc). I had to carefully select her bunny dress and pink pants. I also made sure to put out her “pretty shoes” so she didn’t fight me to get dressed!
- Drove Amani to dayhome.
- I ran to the store to grind my coffee beans. I really need to invest in a coffee grinder. (As an aside, did you know Safeway has a coffee grinder you can use?)
- I worked on and completed my businesses Media Kit.
- Scheduled the weeks social media posts.
- Sent clients price lists and quoted custom pieces.
- Scheduled meetings.
- Lunch Time!
- After lunch I get a bit lazy, so I did some more work. Nothing that required too much brain power: replying to emails, talking to suppliers…
- I picked up my daughter from day home.
- Went downtown to meet someone to sell tickets for the Obsidian Awards. I volunteer on their committee, so I also volunteered to sell tickets.
- Went to the store to exchange my daughter’s boots for “pink boots” since she refused to wear the the sparkly black boots I thought were fabulous!
- I went back home and got my hair done by my lovely mother.
- Ate! Yum Dinner!
- Put Amani to bed.
- Tidied the house.
- Worked on a giveaway for the business.
- Had an evening chat with my husband. You know, relationship building stuff.
- Got ready for and went to bed!