My mother left me today. She abandoned me for clear blue waters and warm weather — she went to Jamaica. I suppose she thought that she could run off for two weeks without consequence. After all, her children are adults.
What she forgot to take into consideration was that her grand children need her! They are only 1 and 4. How can they survive without her?! Sure, they have a mom and dad, but they are millennial parents. They don’t really parent.
Millennial Parents and Boomer Grandparents
Peter and I only do 70% of the parenting. My mom does 30%. Here are a list of things my mom does for us and the babies
- Does the children’s laundry (I haven’t done my kids laundry for 8 months)
- Picks them up from daycare when I can’t (which is at least 3 times a week…you know how it is)
- Takes them every single Friday night for a sleep over
- Has them almost every Saturday morning (it’s hard to parent when you want to sleep in)
- Feeds them their fave food (ice cream, Popsicle, hickory sticks – all the stuff mommy and daddy are too mean to feed them)
This is a BIG hole to fill. How will I do it?! Only time will tell.