I wanted to share this bread recipe with you because homemade bread is better for you (since you know everything that goes into it), tastes better, and costs less than store bought bread. Even if you never use this recipe, at least you know it is possible to create your own food!
This recipe makes three loaves of bread and it is much better than the bread you can buy in the store. I have to admit that this homemade bread recipe was borrowed from a trip to Winnipeg. In Winnipeg there was a really cool couple who made their own bread that was delicious! Not only is making your own bread satisfying, but you can customize each loaf to your own diet and tastes.
How to Make Your Own Homemade Bread
- 3 cups of wholewheat Flour
- 5 cups of bread flower
- 8 grams of yeast
- 2 – 1/3 cup of honey
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 table spoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 3 cups of warm water
- Bread Pans
Step 1: Preparation
- Dissolve three cups of yeast into the three cups of warm water
- Add the bread flower
- Add the first third of honey to the mixture
- Mix Well
- Let mixture rise at room temperature for 30 minutes (After 30 minutes it should double in size)
- Add three table spoons of butter
- Add one table spoon of salt
- Add the second 1/3 of honey
- Add two cups of whole wheat flour to the mixture
- Put flour on your surface for step 11
- Knead the dough (it should be sticky) my preference is to use my hands to keep a better texture/consistency
- Note: if you are using a bread mixer simple put all the whole wheat flour in the bowl.
- You will know your dough is perfect when it moist, but not sticky
- Grease a Bowl
- Place the dough in the bowl
- Place the bowl in the oven and let it rise for 45 minutes to an hour. (It should double in size)
Step 2: Customizing Your Bread
Divide the dough into three and get creative.
You can experiment with ingredients. In our home we have tried chocolate and pecans, vanilla and oats (a fave) Parmesan and parsley (amazing) raisin and cinnamon to name a few.
How do I add ingredients?
This is where you get creativeAfter you have separated your dough you can add about a cup of Parmesan and about a tablespoon of fresh parsley and one garlic clove. These ingredients are mixed in a speateare bowl and then added to the bread dough. Rub it in and voila!
Step Three: Baking the Bread
Let the dough rise again to it hits the top on the bead pan.
*Tip*To cut the rising time in half set your oven to the lowest temperature possible.
- Once risen, preheat your oven to 350C
- Brush the bread with the remain butter
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes. DO NOT OVER BAKE!
Step 4: Bread Storage
To preserve your bread let your bread rest and cool and store it in your preferred method.
Do not store your bread in the fridge. If you want it to last a while you can place it in a freezer for later use.
Personally, we store the bread on the counter in clear plastic bags (that I steal from the bulk section of superstore – yeah I said it!). We live right beside my mom, brother and sister who are always coming and going from our house, so in our household the bread lasts about three – four days.
What winning bread combos would you want to try?
Here is the Garlic Parmesan one that is fresh out of the oven!